Modern investigation and research is proving that prenatal massage therapy can be a very instrumental ingredient in women’s prenatal care.There are many ways expectant mothers can benefit from a prenatal pregnancy massage. Studies have proven that massage therapy during pregnancy can help lower anxiety, reduce symptoms of depression, relieve muscle aches and joint pains and even enhance labour outcomes and the health of your newborn.
How massage will benefit you during your pregnancy
- Hormonal Regulation :
Hormone levels associated with relaxation are increased and stress are significantly decreased, leading to mood regulation and improved cardiovascular health, when massage therapy is introduced to a woman’s prenatal care.These changes in hormone levels also lead to fewer complications during birth and fewer instances of newborn complications, such as low birth weight.
- Reduction Of Swelling :Edema, or swelling of the joints during pregnancy, is often caused by reduced circulation and increased pressure on the major blood vessels by the heavy uterus. Massage helps to stimulate soft tissues to reduce collection of fluids in swollen joints, which also improves the removal of tissue waste, carried by the body’s lymph system.
- Improvement Of Nerve Pain :During the late stages of pregnancy the uterus will rest on the muscles of the pelvic floor and lower back. This puts tension on the muscles of the upper and lower leg, which causes them to swell and exert pressure on nearby nerves. Prenatal pregnancy massage will help alleviate this tension and in most cases result in a significant reduction in sciatic nerve pain.
Other benefits of prenatal massage:
- Reduced back pain
- Reduced joint pain
- Improved circulation
- Reduced edema
- Reduced muscle tension and headaches
- Reduced stress, anxiety and depression, improved maternal mood
- Improved oxygenation of soft tissues and muscles
- Promotes better sleep, less disturbances
- Decreased obstetrical complications
- Improve neonatal health and development
- Relaxes muscle knots that cause cramping, tightening, and stiffness
Common Concerns about Pregnancy Massage
You and your baby’s well-being comes first. Massage Therapists are professionally trained to work with you to develop an effective and safe massage therapy treatment plan during your pregnancy that will complement the care you are receiving from your doctor and other healthcare providers. Ergonomic cushions and supports are used to ensure your safety and comfort during your massage therapy treatment. Massage Therapists are also prepared to address the subtle needs of expectant mothers like yourself, including the potential need for frequent restroom breaks and the use of unscented massage oil so as to not aggravate a sensitive sense of smell. Good communication with your therapist will result in the most beneficial and rewarding pregnancy-massage therapy for you and your baby.
Post-Partum Pregnancy Massage
Massage is also good after giving birth. Post-partum pregnancy massage helps to restore a mother’s body to its pre-pregnancy condition. It helps to realign the body weight, and tones the over-stretched skin over the belly. As with all massage, it relieves muscle tension and stress from mothering duties!